Mason Greenwood: Manchester United player granted bail after private hearing

Mason Greenwood, who has been charged with attempted rape, assault and controlling and coercive behaviour, has received bail after a private hearing at Minshull Street Crown Court in Manchester.

On October 17, he appeared at Manchester Magistrates Court in a grey hoodie to read only his name, date of birth and address. Then, following the verdict, the footballer glanced at his family in the dock, before heading downstairs. However, his defence team told the media that they would attempt another bail application, which they’ve now succeeded in.

After the hearing on October 19, which the player did not attend, a spokesperson for the court revealed that Greenwood had received bail on the condition that he does not contact the witnesses, including the complainant. Furthermore, the 21-year-old must reside at an address on Bow Green Street in Bowden.

The Manchester United forward will return to court on November 21.

What is Mason Greenwood accused of?

The England player was first held after a voice recording came to light of an argument between a man and a woman.

The man appears to desire sexual intercourse, while the woman does not. Despite her protestations, the man insists on going ahead with the act. In addition, an 18-year-old woman posted a plethora of images on social media, showcasing injuries that she claims Greenwood inflicted.

Subsequently, ‘The Red Devils’ have suspended their striker, who hasn’t played since his initial arrest ten months ago.

Nike also terminated its sponsorship deal with the prospect, and EA removed him from active squads on FIFA 22.

He had previously been out on bail, but the police allegedly arrested him in the Trafford area on October 15.

The attempted rape allegation allegedly took place in October 2021, while the controlling and coercive behaviour supposedly occurred between November 2018 and October 2022. Greenwood received a further accusation of threatening and derogatory comments. The footballer allegedly monitored the women’s social media accounts.

The assault charge occasioning actual bodily harm reportedly happened in December 2021.

Support is available via the links below:

Women’s Aid:
Salvation Army:
Safe in Our World:

Featured Image Credit: Getty