The midfielder, who hadn’t scored for France since the 2018 World Cup final, picked the ball up outside the area before unleashing an unstoppable effort into the top corner.
It was rightly deemed one of the goals of the tournament – and now is being considered for a UEFA award.
Check it out below:
Also amongst the nominees include Patrik Schick, Dele Alli and Medhi Taremi.
Schick famously scored the longest goal ever seen in the European Championships when he lobbed Scotland goalkeeper David Marshall from 49 yards out.
The goal saw the Iranian international receive the Champions League Goal of the Tournament award.
He got into the perfect position to receive a cross from the right flank, before sending it back in the direction in which it came with a stunning overhead kick that nestled into the top right corner.
Also nominated is Rangers forward Kemar Roofe, who scored the longest goal ever recorded in the Europa League (54.6 yards) during his side’s draw against Standard Liege.
With Rangers losing 1-0 in stoppage time, Roofe picked the ball up, drove forward past three defenders and let fly from distance – with spectacular results.
Sarah Zadrazil’s long range strike for Bayern Munich against Chelsea in the Women’s Champions League is also nominated.
The full shortlist
Here is the list of nominees in full:
- Medhi Taremi (FC Porto v Chelsea)
- Patrik Schick (Czech Republic v Scotland)
- Kemar Roofe (Rangers v Standard Liege)
- Florian Wirtz (Germany U21 v Netherlands U21)
- Dele Alli (Tottenham v Wolfsburg)
- Lorenzo Insigne (Italy v Belgium)
- Paul Pogba (France v Switzerland)
- Sarah Zadrazil (Bayern Munich v Chelsea)
- Ferrao (Barca Futsal v Dobovec)
- Paulinho (Braga v Leicester City)
Featured Image Credit: Getty