How many European Cups have Real Madrid won? 14 is the answer.
Read on to find out how the Spanish giants became the most successful club in European Cup history.
2022 Champions League champions
On Saturday night, Carlo Ancelotti’s side were crowned 2022 Champions League winners after beating Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool 1-0 at the Stade de France.
A second-half goal by Vinicius Junior sealed the victory as Liverpool’s hopes of a treble crumbled. The Merseyside club had dominated in the first half, but appeared to run out of steam in the second.
Thibaut Courtois put in a remarkable performance. The Belgian made some sublime saves and put in a brilliant display to preserve his side’s lead.
How many European Cups have Real Madrid won?
Los Blancos’ win in Paris extended their tally of European Cups to an astounding 14. The last time Real had won the competition before Saturday was in 2018, when they also defeated Liverpool in the final.
The 2018 win was made even more remarkable as it completed a run of three consecutive Champions League triumphs. No other club has ever matched this feat.
In addition, no other club has ever retained the trophy under its current Champions League iteration.
European Cup dominance
Real Madrid won the first-ever European Cup in 1956. The Spanish side defeated French outfit Reims 4-3 in the final in Paris – the same city where they won their 14th title.
The Spanish giants went on to win the first five consecutive European Cups between 1956 and 1960.
Since then, Real have won the European Cup a further nine times, with seven of those coming after the turn of the century.
Greats such as Raul, Cristiano Ronaldo and Zinedine Zidane have all tasted success in this competition with Real. The club will forever be synonymous with the pinnacle of club football.
Real Madrid’s European Cup successes- the finals
Here are all of Real Madrid’s European Cup final successes, and the scorelines:
- 1955/56 – Real Madrid 4-3 Reims
- 1956/57 – Real Madrid 2-0 Fiorentina
- 1957/58 – Real Madrid 3-2 AC Milan
- 1958/59 – Real Madrid 2-0 Reims
- 1959/60 – Real Madrid 7-3 Eintracht Frankfurt (pictured)
- 1965/66 – Real Madrid 2-1 Partizan
- 1997/98 – Real Madrid 1-0 Juventus
- 1999/00 – Real Madrid 3-0 Juventus
- 2001/02 – Real Madrid 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen (pictured)
- 2013/14 – Real Madrid 4-1 Atletico Madrid
- 2015/16 – Real Madrid 1-1 Atletico Madrid (Real won 5-3 on penalties)
- 2016/17 – Real Madrid 4-1 Juventus
- 2017/18 – Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool
- 2021/22 – Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool
Featured Image Credit: Getty