Mike Tyson has claimed that a trilogy fight between himself and Evander Holyfield will take place on May 29.
Speculation had been rife about who Tyson’s potential opponent would be ever since he confirmed that he would be competing in a second comeback fight last week.
He also revealed he would be fighting in Miami.
One potential opponent was Holyfield, with the pair having fought twice during the 1990s.
Tyson lost both fights – the second via disqualification after he famously bit off part of Holyfield’s ear.
He said on Instagram Live with Haute Living: “I just want everybody to know the fight is on between me and Holyfield.
“Holyfield’s a humble man, I know that, and he’s a man of God, but I’m God’s man.
“Listen, I’m going to be successful May 29.”
Given the scenes that occurred last time they fought 24 years ago, it will certainly be intriguing to see how the trilogy fight between Tyson and Holyfield pans out, if it does go ahead.
Holyfield manager claims no done deal yet
However, there remain contrasting reports about the status of the bout.
The Athletic reported on Monday that Tyson had rejected a $25 million offer to participate in a bout against Holyfield on May 29.
Holyfield’s manager Kris Lawrence said: “We thought this was a done deal but it quickly fell apart when Tyson’s people declined all offers.
“We were negotiating in good faith all along and it appears we just ended up wasting our time.
“Obviously, this would be the biggest event in the world and break all pay-per-view records.
“I don’t understand how anyone can walk away from a global event like that.
“It’s a 50/50 [purse split] for both men and Holyfield deserves as much as Mike.”
No doubt we’ll be hearing plenty more developments in this story over the coming weeks.
Featured Image Credit: